Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Chili-Lime Squash Chips – A Healthy Snack from the Garden

I love it when I can solve two problems at the same time, and chili-lime squash chips do that very thing for me.  First they provide me with a healthy and tasty snack; second, they give me a way to use up some of those nine-jillion extra squash that come out of my garden at this time of year.   Here’s how to make chili-lime squash chips:

First, select several large squashes (my dehydrator will hold about 5 or 6 squashes after they are sliced up).  I have used yellow squash and zucchini with equally good results.


Now, slice the squash into thin pieces, about 1/8th inch thick, and place the slices in a bowl.

Pour about a quarter cup of lime juice into the bowl and use your fingers to lightly toss the squash and coat it with lime juice.

Now you can add your spices.  I use salt, garlic, and chili powder.  How much to use is entirely up to you. Toss the squash a little more to make sure that it is evenly coated with spices.



I use a Nesco counter top dehydrator to dry out my squash chips. You can use whatever type of dehydrator that you have, or you can use your oven.  If you use an oven, set it at about 150 degrees and leave the door propped open.


To get the chips really crisp takes a long time.  I leave mine in the dehydrator for about 9 or 10 hours.
  
When they are nice a crunchy, I let the chips cool and then store them in plastic zip-lock bags.

I eat them with my lunch instead of potato chips, and they are really good.  If you are plagued with excess squash, give this recipe a try. I bet you’ll enjoy it.

No comments: