I just wanted to do a little follow-up on my June post about starting sweet potato slips and planting them.
I had originally planted 14 slips in a bed that measured about three feet by twelve feet.
Of those 14 slips, 12 of them lived to maturity. In mid-October I decided that it was time to harvest them. Although we hadn’t had a frost yet, the weather was getting cooler and wetter, and the vines were beginning to lose a little of their color; so I decided I’d dig up at least one hill just to see if they were ready.
I pulled back the vines and could see a potato jutting up out of the ground, so I used my hands (thanks to the addition of a lot of sand the soil is very loose) and dug down around the potato. What was sticking out of the ground was just the tip of the iceberg. There was a pile of sweet potatoes down there.
I went ahead and dug all of the hills and laid the potatoes out in the sun so the skins would set.
That afternoon I went out and brushed the dirt off of them (never wash them until you are ready to cook them) and hauled them up to the house. According to the scale I had 46 pounds of sweet potatoes. That’s an average of a little more than 1.7 pounds per square foot. Pretty good return on investment.
I laid the sweet potatoes out, not touching, in a warm, dark room to cure for two weeks. This increases the sugar content of the potatoes. After two weeks we started eating and boy are they good.