Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Make Kale Chips for a Healthy and Delicious Snack



These days, many people are looking for healthier alternatives to some of the snack foods that we have been eating for years.  I have found kale chips to be a great substitute for the potato chips and corn chips that I used to eat with my lunch.  Kale is an amazing plant.  In my part of the world (East Texas) it will grow year round.  Kale is very low in calories, has just a tiny bit of fat, and no cholesterol.  It is loaded with vitamin A and vitamin C, and it supplies a good amount of vitamin B12, calcium, iron, and magnesium.  Kale is a little pricey at the grocery store, but if you have a little space, it is easy to grow.  It’s such an attractive plant that you could grow it in your flower beds, and even the snootiest neighbors wouldn’t complain.


To turn your kale into tasty chips is simplicity itself:

First cut and wash a bunch of kale.  Then cut the kale into chunks and place it in a bowl.

I season my kale with soy sauce and garlic.  I use a quarter cup of soy sauce and three-quarters cup of water, and mix in a teaspoon of garlic powder.



Pour this mixture into your bowl of kale, and then hand toss the kale until it is evenly coated with the mixture.

Load your dehydrator with the kale (I use a Nesco counter top dehydrator) and turn it on.  If you don’t have a dehydrator your can use your oven. Just set it very low; less than 200 degrees F. and prop the oven door open.


Keep an eye on the kale as it will dry quickly.  My dehydrator takes about an hour and a half.

When the kale is crispy-dry, turn off your dehydrator and let the kale cool.  Place it in an airtight plastic bag and start snacking.


No comments: